This photo was recently povided
by a former Seaquarium employee. It has been hidden
from the public since 1982.
In Sepetember 1982 the
Seaquarium's performing dolphin named Poncho died
of intestinal failure. His intestines literally
exploded. Now we know why. This photo was presumably
taken by Miami Seaquairum Vet. Greg Bossart. In
Poncho's stomach were found:
2 Deflated Footballs
1 Trainers Whistle
1 Ten Penny Nail
1 Metal Tag
1 Piece of Wire
1 Metal Staple
Several Other Unidentifiable Objects
"They get bored in captivity,"
says former dolphin trainer Russ Rector, "They
pop the footballs and swallow them whole."
to marine biologists dolphins living and dying in
the wild rarely have anything other than fish in
there stomachs but in captivity this is a common
seem to think the dolpin tanks are wishing wells
and throw coins in. The dolpins snatch them up and
swallow them," says Rector, "At Ocean
World (now closed) one of our dolpins died of zinc
poisoning from swallowing too many pennies."